Friday, July 27, 2012

Images of Death and Mortality

"Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection," Through July 8, Chicago Cultural Center: Exhibition Report 




The blog Morbid Anatomy is a favorite. They provide access to many subjects many sites would never take on. Things like the one mentioned above, taxidermy, medical curiosities, the arcane, contemporary post-mortem photography, books and catalogs. There is never a dull moment on the site and they provide links to all kinds of obscure sites. Liocated in Brooklyn, NY, Morbid Anatomy also provides a research library and private collection available to the interested public.



Just came across this post about an exhibition at the Chicago Cultural Center, an exhibit from the collection of Richard Harris. You'll see macabre and beautiful images depicting death in this collection. Harris says,
"I collect images of  "Death" because I am a visual person who takes in information best visually. As I have gotten older the thought of my own demise has begun to enter my conscious thoughts. The universality of "Death," with the realization that we will all die, encouraged me to begin the conversation of my mortality visually rather than talking or reading about it. I believe that there is a larger audience who might also be more comfortable beginning that discussion in a visual way, which is why I always thought of my collection in terms of a public exhibition."
--Richard Harris, the collector whose works are featured in "Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection,"in an interview with Morbid Anatomy.
Watch a walk through the gallery with Richard Harris.




The exhibit will fill two gallery spaces to cover a total of 14,000 sq. ft. 


Harris has collected for over 40 years accumulating a collection of  antique illustrated books and prints and art work by Rembrandt, Picasso and Matisse.




No comments:

Post a Comment